Sunday, November 7, 2010

I'm Thankful For . . .

This cold has got me tight in it's grip today. We woke early this morning thanks to the time change and I thought maybe if I took some DayQuil I might actually be able to function today--maybe even make it to church. So I took it, but instead of feeling better, I crashed. My legs felt like jelly and I could barely open my eyes. At noon, Utah Dad practically pushed me out of bed so I made my way downstairs where I curled into a ball on the couch and went back to sleep. The kids and Utah Dad watched The Sound of Music and the video-biography of President Monson so I think I was out for quite awhile. Clearly, the non-drowsy formula doesn't work for me.

When I have a cold the thing I love most, other than the excuse to sit and read when I'm awake, is my mom's concoction of honey, vinegar and hot water. I think she started giving it to me in my bottle when I was a baby (in the days when they didn't know not to give babies honey). My cousins like it too, so I assume that my grandmother gave it to my mom when she was sick as a child too.

Utah Dad and my kids can't stand honey and vinegar. Utah Dad forbids me to come near him while I'm drinking it. But it just makes me feel better. And it makes me think of my mom, who is really very fantastic. She amazes me. 

So today I'm just very very thankful for my mom.


And I'm thankful for my grandma too. Isn't she so cute?!

2 comments:

Marie said...

I may have to try that. I have been fighting something for a week now and it has sttled into my glands. I'm also not sleeping much (insomnia). How does that help when you're sick? Anyway... I'm thinking I'm going to try it. Feel better! I'm going to try to feel beter too!

Shilo said...

So sweet!!!