Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Scarlet Letter - Book Review

I have no less than fifty books literally waiting on the shelf in my bedroom for me to read them. Sometimes when I'm in the middle of a less-than-fantastic book for a review, I look longingly at that shelf and then hurry myself along (I'm also a one-at-a-time kind of girl). So, when I finished the book last week and needed something to read, it shouldn't have been hard to pick something. I surprised myself by reaching for my Nathaniel Hawthorne collection and opening up to The Scarlet Letter.

I read (or skimmed) The Scarlet Letter in high school.  B-O-R-I-N-G! After I fell in  love with The Peabody Sisters  (which I highly recommend to anyone who enjoys biographies and literature) several years ago, I was anxious to try some more Hawthorne (he was married to the youngest Peabody sister). I started The House of the Seven Gables but put it aside when I just couldn't get into it after fifty pages. Even though I really really wanted to like Hawthorne, I figured it was hopeless.

Perhaps I just wasn't ready or mature enough then. I devoured The Scarlet Letter this time. I was enthralled and fascinated with the story, themes and the beautiful language (makes reading most novels now seem like fifth grade work). I almost wish I was back in high school college so that I could discuss it with a group. I definitely have some ideas to contribute this time. And I apologize to my mom's friends--I shouldn't have laughed when I heard you were reading it for book club.

It just goes to show, that some books are worth another try.

4 comments:

Rheanna said...

I read that book once in high school and once in college and HATED it both times....you're making me think I should attempt it again....sometime!

Brimhalls said...

I agree with you--it is well worth reading. I think the psychology behind each character is fascinating.

Catey said...

This makes me want to read it again. I went with the Cliff Notes in high school....just couldn't handle the page long sentences! Maybe I'll put it on the "to read" list...

Becca said...

I have had that experience myself with many a book, I think that when you mature you bring a whole new set of experiences and values to books. And it tottaly changes you expectations. Happy Reading!