Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Book Review

Amberly is becoming such a good reader and it makes my heart sing to watch her devour one book after another. She, of course, favors the princess/fairy/kitten genre but I am especially delighted when I come into her room and find her reading one of my old Ramona books. I can't wait to introduce Anne of Green Gables and Utah Dad has already got her hooked on The Little House on the Prairie.

While, I am so glad that she enjoys these books on her own, I still like to read aloud to her. Last week I read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll to the girls each night before bed.

I'd never read the book before although I've seen several movie versions (who hasn't?). Honestly, I wasn't that impressed. I suppose I thought it would be a typical situation--that the book would be so so much better than the movies. It was fine. It just wasn't as magical as I imagined it would be. The movies are always so visually striking and I thought Carroll's descriptions a bit flat.

Obviously, the story is a classic non-sensical tale and it is good. I did especially enjoy the Mock Turtle's puns tales of the sea with slight variations on the words.  Amberly enjoyed it. So ultimately, it was worth it.

No comments: