Friday, March 4, 2011

Not the Friday Night I Was Hoping For

It was a crazy Friday afternoon. I helped Neal's Knowledge Bowl team study and prepare after school. And then I spent the rest of the afternoon running kids back and forth from Activity Days and Cub Scouts along with all the other mothers in my neighborhood (time to start a carpool, I think). We had just finished our yucky but easy dinner of fish sticks and Utah Dad and I were in the kitchen dishing up ice cream as a consolation prize.

I looked up from the dish of mint chocolate chip ice cream just in time to see Molly who was standing on one of the dining room chairs tip over and face plant on the floor. Utah Dad, who was closer, scooped up the hysterical little girl. She reached for me and I took her in my arms. Except for the fact that she was screaming, she looked OK until I realized there was blood dripping under her chin. Sure enough she had a good gash and I knew immediately that it would require some stitches. I got the bleeding under control and Molly calmed down.

Utah Dad put on Molly's coat and snow boots (they're her favorite--I hope she is finished insisting on them before summer is here) while I grabbed my purse and jacket. He stayed home with the other kids (incidentally, he also made them clean their bedrooms and the loft and put them to bed) while I rushed with Molly toward civilization and an urgent care.

I really didn't want to go to the IHC Insta-Care nearest us. It doesn't have the best reputation and my insurance doesn't cover IHC. Loathe to pay the extra, I decided to drive by Alpine Pediatrics just to see if they might still be open. I was pleasantly surprised to see that they have just started providing urgent care two weeks ago. Woo hoo! They are open until 8:30 p.m. each night at my location and even longer than that at their other locations..

The nurse put some gel on Molly's to chin to numb it and we sat to wait for the numbing to take effect. Molly watched Monster's Inc. and I read the book I just started this afternoon.

I was nervous about how Molly would handle to actual stitches. Thomas had to get stitches near his eye brown when he was about her age. He screamed and thrashed. It took three of us to hold him still and I was practically sitting on him. Fortunately, that has been my only other experience with stitches as a parent.

In stark contrast to Thomas, Molly behaved perfectly. She lay very still and never uttered a peep while the lovely and gentle Anne sewed up Molly's gash with five stitches. I even overcame my aversion on all things needle-like and peeked a little. It wasn't so bad.

The only thing Molly said when it was finished was "Cookies!" I figured she deserved some so we made a quick stop at the store to get some frosted animal cookies. She ate two when we got home and then went right to sleep snuggling with her dolly and lamb.

I was so pleased with the care we received at Alpine Pediatrics and so grateful that Molly was relaxed and calm. It wasn't exactly how I planned to spend my Friday night but it wasn't as bad as it could have been. And for that I am grateful.


Catey said...

So sorry about the stitches-that is always rotten! But I am glad to know that Alpine Ped is now open for urgent care!! We have had a bad stitch job at Instacare that has left Charli with a nice Frankenstein-esque scar right by her eye...frustrating.

Glad she did so well, and thank goodness for cookies! :)

Rheanna said...

Stitches are terrible! That is good to know that they have urgent care there now! I'm not a huge fan of the Instacare'd think they'd improve over time!!!! And why do stitches for kids always have to be on the face!!!! :o)

Kerri said...

We used instacare last night for Kathryn last night. I was so happy to have them stay open longer so we could do that rather than go to AF.