Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Thirteenth Tale - Book Review

I took an unplanned hiatus from blogging for the last few months. Between the holidays and a busy new church assignment, I didn't have as much time to blog. Then the kids went back to school and I was busy attempting to put the house back together.

With the busy schedule, I didn't get to read as much either. There were days when the only thing I really wanted to do was climb into my bed with a good book and hide from the world--especially since I was in the middle of such a good book. That didn't exactly happen but I was able to carve out a little reading time to enjoy The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield.

I've heard so many good things about the novel and it's been on my to-read list for years. I was delighted when I found a beautiful, like-new copy at the library book sale this fall.

Using her captivating gift of language, Setterfield weaves as fascinating tale about the secretive world famous author Vida Winters. After years of writing beloved novels, the world had become intrigued by her own story which she had guarded for years by telling other stories to the reporters. Now, Ms. Winters requests that a biographer, Margaret Lea come to her home and write her story--the thirteenth tale--the true story of her life.

With the Angelfield family estate falling into ruins, a mysterious fire, ghosts and strange people the truth seems only another illusion while hearkening to the beloved Gothic stories of the Bronte sisters. The Thirteenth Tale is a spellbinding ghost story with rich language and eccentric and intriguing characters that will keep you up reading late into the night.


No comments: