Friday, January 27, 2012

Parent Teacher Conferences

This week was Parent Teacher Conferences, or rather SEP Conferences. I always go into them with a bit of trepidation.  My kids are pretty good (generally) and I shouldn't worry so much, but I do. I might get blindsided with information about my kid that makes me look like a bad parent.

We heard plenty of really glowingly good things about the kids and a few things that can be improved upon--like Neal has not turned in his homework for the last six weeks. (He's always been so responsible about completing his homework by himself, so we were a bit surprised. Needless to say, he is grounded from the Wii and we will be checking his homework for awhile.) Amberly is a bit too chatty in class--not a surprise (Amberly has a brand new teacher who has known her for exactly two weeks but clearly knows our social, little daughter already).

Our last appointment was with Thomas's kindergarten teacher. Utah Dad and I enjoyed hearing all the great progress reports on our little son. Then his teacher pulled out a story he had written. His spelling was remarkable. His handwriting, though giant, was more legible than his father's. The accompanying artwork was cute. The teacher read it aloud to us:

I was hungree so I went down stairs but there was no food.
We chuckled. Then Thomas turned to me and accusingly asked, "remember that day?" And there it was. That embarrassing moment in front of the teacher. Apparently, I don't feed my children. Did I detect a glimmer of reproach in the eyes of the young teacher? Certainly, she doesn't actually believe all the stories she must hear from the thirty (yes, thirty) kindergartners in her morning class? Right?

I hope so.

No comments: