Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Day in my Life . . .

Inspired by my niece Anna's recent post, I thought I would share a day in my life. The following took place yesterday . . .
6:45 a.m. Utah Dad wakes up and gets in the shower. I hit the snooze button two more times before rolling out of bed and putting on my comfy robe.

7:00 a.m. Wake Neal. He gets to ski after school so it's not too hard.

7:05 a.m. Molly wakes up. Change her diaper. Wake Amberly.

7:11 a.m. I take my thyroid pill. I don't function very well without it. I can't eat for at least a half an hour.

7:15 a.m. Picky kid #1 eats a spoonful of peanut butter and a vitamin. Sometimes he eats his peanut butter with toast, not this morning. Picky kid #2 claims that she isn't hungry. Good thing the first graders eat lunch so early.

7:22 a.m. Kneel for family prayers.

7:25 a.m. Utah Dad and Neal leave to drive the carpool to school.

7:30 a.m. I comb Amberly's hair, pack her backpack, help her find her coat, gloves and scarf--she gets to walk to school this morning.

7:50 a.m. Amberly leaves to walk to school with her friends.

7:51 a.m. I check my email (I won a book from GoodReads.com); check Facebook; write a blog post.

8:35 a.m. Feed Thomas, Lilly and Molly their breakfast. I eat a piece of cinnamon toast.

8:40 a.m. I put in my contacts (I can SEE! It's a miracle) and brush my teeth.

8:45 a.m. I nurse Molly and read from "Theodore Rex". The suspense is building. Will he get to build the canal in Panama or will he have to build it in the less desirable location of Nicaragua? I put Molly back to bed.

9:11 a.m. Take the turkey from the fridge and put it in the sink because it's still not thawed completely.

9:15 a.m. Change the laundry. Molly doesn't really want to sleep. I fold and put away clothes in the kids' new dressers. It's so nice that the little girls' clothes aren't in bins under their cribs any more. Thomas, Lilly and Molly look at books, build a Lego tower, and play with the kitchen that gets more use now that I moved it from the real kitchen to the loft.

9:30 a.m. Walk by the computer and check my email. Did I get a message from the outside world? No. Read some blogs. Using a laundry basket and a chair Thomas rigs up a garbage truck that he pretends to drive.

10:15 a.m. Nurse Molly again on the couch in the boys' bedroom snuggled between Thomas and Lilly. We read six books.

10:45 a.m. Change the laundry again. I leave the dry stuff in a basket in the laundry room.

11:15 a.m. I turn on Shrek the Third for Thomas and Lilly. Yes, I let me kids watch Shrek--because it's funny and I can only stand so many years of "Baby Mozart". I unload the clean dishes from the dishwasher and refill it with the dirty dishes from last night. Start the dishwasher.

11:54 a.m. Utah Dad calls to ask me to look up the address for a Mr. Mac. He desperately needs new church shoes. I check my email while I'm at the computer.

12:00 p.m. I catch Molly eating food from under the table. I put her in the high chair to eat some Cheerios and sweep the floor.

12:10 p.m. Nurse Molly, read a few pages of Theodore, put Molly to bed for her nap. Check my email again.

12:30 p.m. Get lunch for Thomas and Lilly. I eat a yogurt.

12:40 p.m. I get in the shower. Get dressed. Put on a little make-up (foundation, mascara, Vaseline). Let my hair air dry.

1:00 p.m. Check my email again. It should only take a minute since there isn't any. Check Facebook and the news. My heart aches for the people of Chile.

1:22 p.m. Since I'm dressed, it's only right that the kids get dressed too. Help Thomas get dressed. Thomas wants to know where we're going.

1:30 p.m. Amberly gets home from school. I look at her papers. She's such a good writer. She tells me all about her teacher's honeymoon to Costa Rica.

1:35 p.m. Go out and get the mail. I forgot to put the Netflix movies in the mailbox this morning.

1:37 p.m. Call the U and pay off the hospital bill for Molly (her first birthday is coming up, so it's about time). Pay some additional bills and fill out the form for reimbursement from the Flex plan.

1:50 p.m. The kids wake Molly from her nap. I nurse her and read while they play an elaborate pretend game dictated by Amberly.

2:20 p.m. While the kids play, I lay down for a rest.

2:22 p.m. Molly needs me. Kiss an "owie" for Lilly.

2:40 p.m. Utah Dad gets home. He bought new shoes and cologne. He has never worn cologne before. He smells good.

2:45 p.m. Put the turkey in the oven. Empty the dishwasher.

3:00 p.m. Make myself a fried egg sandwich. The kids smell it. Make Amberly and Thomas fried egg sandwiches.

3:30 p.m. Enjoy a bowl of ice cream too because the piece of toast and the yogurt just aren't cutting it.

3:35 p.m. Get the little girls dressed. The sun is shining. Utah Dad and I take the kids on a walk to the playground. Visit with a lady, who used to be in our ward before the last ward split, while the kids play on the slides.

5:05 p.m. Get home from the park. The house smells like turkey. Everyone needs a drink of water.

5:30 p.m. Play a game of Dr. Seuss Green Eggs and Ham with the kids.

6:00 p.m. I make gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing and corn to go with the turkey for dinner. Amberly pulls out a tooth.

6:30 p.m. Utah Dad's parents and Neal arrive. We eat dinner. Thomas says it reminded him of Thanksgiving so we all take a moment to say what we're thankful for. The food is delicious. I eat too much.

7:25 p.m. I take two Tums. Amberly and Utah Dad's mom clean the kitchen.

8:00 p.m. Utah Dad's parents leave. Fortunately, Neal's teacher has just had a baby and he doesn't have any homework tonight. It's way past the kids' bedtimes. We hurry to get them ready for bed.

8:10 p.m. We read Jacob chapter four in the Book for Mormon. We say family prayers and rush the kids to bed.

8:30 p.m. I nurse Molly and read Theodore. Utah Dad responds to emails from students.

9:15 p.m. Molly goes to bed. Amberly is still awake and sings to her. I check my email and the news.

9:35 p.m. Molly refuses to go to sleep. I'm nice and nurse her again. She suddenly stopped sleeping last week.

10:06 p.m. I put Molly in bed again. I can hear her making funny noises. I think she is trying to wake her sisters.

10:14 p.m. I get ready for bed.

10:25 p.m. Get in bed. I want to read but Utah Dad wants to talk.

10:30 p.m. We're really too tired to do either, so we turn off the light after praying and go to sleep.

11:00 p.m. The tooth fairy forgets to come.

2:37 a.m. Lilly wakes up. She needs a drink and her covers straightened.

5:23 a.m. I wake up from a horrible dream where Molly has been stolen. I have trouble falling asleep again because I can't stop thinking about the dream.

6:45 a.m. Push the snooze on the alarm.


Rheanna said...

First, I'm glad I'm not the only one who often doesn't get to shower before noon or who doesn't get to eat right when they get up-hate that! Second, Your day made me tired just reading it---take a break and relax today!

anna said...

You fold your kid's clothes? Wow. My kids have to help me sort out the clean laundry and put their clothes away - so nothing eve gets folded. Audrey just usually pulls it all out later anyway. It drives my mom, the laundry nazi, nuts. Wrinkly clothes?? They're kids. Whatever.

I guess every mom has exhausting, never a spare moment days, huh? Glad you have a good book to enjoy, though. And that you didn't have to clean the kitchen after dinner :)