Friday, May 17, 2013

The Night Circus - Book Review


I've been wanting to read The Night Circus by Erin Morgentern since I read all the fabulous reviews after it's release. I finally found an excuse when it was picked as one of this year's reads for our neighborhood book club. Several of my friends read it before I did and whenever I asked what they thought they would respond with comments like "The imagery is amazing." I wondered if it would be one of those books full of amazing imagery and lacking on plot and characterization.

I was a bit bored by the book I was reading earlier this week (going back to it now and I'm hoping it gets better) so I picked up The Night Circus instead. I was almost immediately entranced by the images created by words and a magical, enchanting world and I realized why my friends chose to describe it as they had. However, I was thrilled to also be intrigued by the mysterious plot and the unique and quirky characters. Admittedly, there are many characters and it was often difficult at the beginning to make sense of the various characters and time periods in the different chapters. I was relieved to know that many of the characters didn't even know what was going on.

Two rival magicians pit their students against each other in an elaborate duel of strength and skills. Their venue is the newly imagined Night Circus that enchants audiences around the world when it suddenly appears outside of town and opens its gates and wonders when the sun sets. The challenge between the two will entangle the entire circus and become even more dangerous when they fall in love with each other.

I have a soft spot for the purely creative--the book that tells a story no one else has told in a way that no one else would even think to tell it. The Night Circus by Erin Moregenstern is as imaginative and delightful as the one where patrons enter black and white tents filled with wishing trees, mazes through the clouds and a world made of ice.

6 comments:

Booklogged said...

This one went off my radar when my sister read it and didn't care for it, but now I think I better give it a try. She and I don't always see eye to eye with what we like in books.

A neighborhood book club sounds wonderful.

Cindi said...

Booklogged - you should give it a chance. And our neighborhood book club is wonderful. Everyone should have one.

mandy said...

I so enjoyed this book!

anna said...

I loved that book! We picked it for book club and I am happy to read it again! I have never wanted to live in a book as much as I did that one.

Utah Mom said...

Anna - I agree. I didn't want it to end. So mesmerizing. It will probably be on my very short read-again list.

Jessica @ Books: A true story said...

I just read this and the imagery was my favorite thing too :) I want to visit all of the magical tents! I agree - it was such a creative and wonderful book.