Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Like Water for Chocolate - Book Review

"Read What I Want Month"


I devoured Laura Esquirel's novel Like Water for Chocolate--a love song to food. Mouth watering and spell binding, this novel worked it's magic on me and I just could not put it down.

Tita is the youngest daughter and according to tradition, must stay with and care for her abusive mother. Fighting against her fate, Tita falls madly in love with Pedro. She will spend her life yearning for this futile relationship.

The reader gets to know Tita in the kitchen. The smells, tastes, and textures of food are her world. With a touch of mysticism, unknown even to herself, Tita infuses the foods she creates with her strong emotions and infects those who eat of her food with overwhelming feelings.

A lovely and unique novel about the power of love, Esquirel introduces the reader to compelling characters who fight against the odds to determine their own destinies. This sensuous novel was simply entrancing.


3 comments:

Lenasledgeblog.com said...

I've always wanted to read this book. I've heard the film is wonderful too. I think I have it on my shelf as a matter of fact. Thanks for reminding me of a great book I could be enjoying right now. :-)

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

Sounds like a good read. I watched the movie years ago, though I can't remember much. I was inexplicably drawn to the title. :)

Jinky said...

I devoured this too. Sensual, racy, yummy recipes.. :)