Friday, September 17, 2010

Retreating

Yesterday afternoon my children were playing in the backyard. They came in later completely covered in mud and promptly took baths and got in their jammies. Thomas was upset with me when I wouldn't let him go back outside in his clean pajamas.

Thomas: "You are going to have to go away. I don't want a mommy any more." (Said in a completely calm, rational voice. I think it would have flustered me less if he'd been screaming.)

Me: "I'm leaving tomorrow afternoon." (I've really been looking forward to our Relief Society Retreat this weekend.)

Thomas: "No. I think you should leave now."

Me: "I can't go yet. I have to finish folding the laundry."

Thomas, thinking: "You know, you could stay, if you would be nice to me. If you're going to be mean to me, you'll need to leave right now."


Only four more hours until I leave for the retreat.

At least 24 hours of visiting with my friends. Laughing. Relaxing. Breathing the fresh, hopefully cooler, mountain air. Staying up late. Eating delicious food. I think I definitely need this break.

Apparently, my kids need a break too.

2 comments:

Rheanna said...

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait! My kids want me to leave too! Justin promised them a party tonight that they think I am missing out on-if they only knew how NOT sad I am to miss it!!!!!!!!

Myke Weber said...

I get the biggest kick out of Thomas. What a little character!

You have a good time. I'm sure he'll be missing you and completely ready to have you back.