Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Delicious Green Beans

I just shocked myself when I wrote that title. Really.

I was a picky eater as a kid. My parents insisted that I eat everything on my plate including my vegetables. I ate them but I didn't like them. They did give me a "pass" on eating asparagus. Apparently, my gag reflex was too much for them.

Every year I continue to "try" several of the vegetables that were on my "gross list" as a kid. Most of the vegetables I hated when I was a kid, I now enjoy. I still don't like asparagus or brussell sprouts. And I hate green beans. I loathe them. Even in that casserole where the green beans are covered in cream of mushroom soup and fried onions that my sister-in-law makes every Thanksgiving. Utah Dad loves it.
Last night as we threw together a quick dinner with veggies from our garden, I suggested that we run over to the ward garden and pick some green beans. (I must brag for a second and it's OK since it's not something I  did, although we did go weed the garden one night for FHE. Our ward garden is absolutely beautiful. The folks in charge have done an incredible job.) Neal and I grabbed a bowl and drove over to the garden. The beans were just ready and waiting to be picked. We picked enough for our dinner. (There are still tons on the bushes -- go get some!)

I brought them home and Utah Dad threw them in the wok with sesame oil, a red onion and a minced garlic clove from our garden. He sauteed them until the onion was caramelized perfection. I should have taken a picture but I didn't get a chance because we devoured them.

It was the only time in my life that I have enjoyed green beans and they really were amazing. Did you hear that? Green beans were amazingly delicious.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hilarious! You guys have a ward garden -- that's awesome!

Bossy said...

My stepson hates green beans and so does his dad. After one terrible stalemate I finally gave up. Dad if you expect him to eat those green beans you better match him bean for bean. Now they both understand each other better and I get more green beans for me.

I hate store green beans by the way. And variety you plant matters too. There is nothing like green beans canned by my mother. I will even pick for a couple of hours if it means I can take a bottle or too. We usually just serve them warm with butter. But my favorite comfort food is beans and "gravy." It is really just white sauce (4c milk 4tb flour). Add the beans and serve over un-buttered toast. It is delicious!
Kira