Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Back to School

I had mixed emotions about the kids going back to school. We've had such a fun summer together and there are many more things we wanted to do. I love the lazy, hanging out days--sleeping in and staying up later (even though my kids protest that I still make them go to bed before the sun sets). At the same time, our family needed to get back on a schedule.

My kids love school (some more than others) and they were anxious to go back and see their friends and meet their new teachers. Neal and Amberly started a week ago. So far, they are happy.

Apparently, as a sixth grader Neal is now "too cool" to pose for first-day-of-school-pictures. This is the only one he stood still for. He looks thrilled, doesn't he? Don't let him fool you. He was so excited, mostly for social reasons, though he has admitted since that he is enjoying what they are studying too.


Amberly doesn't even try to hide her joy. She simply loves school. Everything about it.


Thomas is in kindergarten this year. His birthday is next week and he'll be turning six, so he's been waiting to go to school for awhile. He was so excited. On Monday, he woke up, bathed and got ready for school in his new clothes. Utah Dad, Lilly, Molly and I walked him to school while he tried to convince us that he was old enough to walk by himself (not yet).

As we got closer to the school, we wondered why no one was there yet. The kindergarten area is usually so full on the first day. Then we saw a neighbor friend who was also starting kindergarten.

Just kidding! Kindergarten didn't start until Tuesday. So, we marched back home and Thomas spent one more day hanging out with his little sisters. Don't even ask how we got so screwed up on the date. I'll blame it on Utah Dad since he took Thomas to school the week earlier for his assessment while I stayed home sick with strep throat (the first time I've ever had it. MISERABLE!).



Yesterday morning, we got up and did it all again. This time, for real. Thomas was so cute and practically bouncing. We joined all the other HORDES of kindergartners from our neighborhood walking to school. Many of the neighborhood kids are in Thomas's class. Thomas played on the play ground while we waited for the bell to ring and wasn't a bit sad as he waved goodbye and walked into the classroom.



I didn't cry either. I suppose I'm weird. But Thomas is so ready to finally be off to school and I do get him back three hours later. I'll save the tears for when he leaves for college and his mission.

Thomas is in the same classroom that both Neal and Amberly were in during kindergarten, although they all have had different teachers. They both had darling, young, recently married teachers who got pregnant and had babies and didn't come back to teach. Thomas's teacher is darling, young and recently married. We shall see . . .

Thomas came home after school in love with his teacher and filled with stories to share about his day. Makes me so happy.


It's going to be a great year!



3 comments:

Rachel Brooks said...

It must be bittersweet having school start again. At least now you have some time to yourself!

Also, I’m a new follower—wonderful blog! Stop by my blog and follow me too? :) http://rachelbrookswrites.blogspot.com/

MamaMunky said...

Your children are gorgeous, just in case you were wondering. :)

I just wanted to let you know that I featured your blog in a blog post I just did (at babiesbooksandsigns.com). I hope you don't mind. If you do, please let me know.

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Your children are so adorable!! Really like your blog and am glad that I found it!!