Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Christmas Box - Book Review

I read The Christmas Box by Richard Paul Evans yesterday afternoon. The best thing about it was that it was short. I feel a little like Elaine from Seinfeld when she hated the highly acclaimed "English Patient".

There must be something wrong with me. That's the only explanation, right?

Don't get me wrong. It's a sweet story. A sad story and a good reminder of what is really, truly important--especially at Christmas. I get the message. I gave my babies extra hugs last night.

So, maybe my real problem with the book is actually the length. There wasn't time to develop any of the characters very well. I don't care about them yet. It's hard to be too emotionally moved by a story if you just don't care about them.

2 comments:

Michelle H said...

I just started reading this last night, after reading The Christmas List. I'm expecting about the same as it sounds like you got from it, but these days can really use a sweet shot-in-the-arm of feel-good.

Kerri said...

I really like the Christmas Jars better than the Christmas box. I read this a few years ago.