Friday, August 16, 2019

Summer Reading - Book Reviews

In honor of National Book Lovers Day, I wanted to give a shout out of awesomeness to several really great books I've had the pleasure of enjoying lately. Thank you to Atria Books, Tin House Books, William Morrow and Alfred A Knopf for the books.



I love Joshilyn Jackson's books. I do. They are a joy to read and I love her quirky characters. Never Have I Ever was a similarly enjoyable experience. Since it begins with a neighborhood book club I 
was immediately sold and intrigued and glad that the only thing that really got us worked up in my former book club was disagreeing about cub scouts. Because the newest member of the book club hosted at Amy Whey's house is a problem, a big problem.

I liked the characters and I liked the twists and turns that kept me guessing. Sometimes I guessed correctly but more often than not, I was surprised. I read it on the beach and it really was the perfect beach read.

Never Have I Ever by Joshilyn Jackson is published by William Morrow and released on July 30, 2019.



We Are All Good People by Susan Rebecca White starts in 1962 when Daniella and Eve become roommates and best friends at college. The novel follows their friendship through the turbulent years of the 60s and 70s--the fight for civil rights and the Vietnam War. 

I found the historical aspects of the novel fascinating. It was interesting reading about those who went to the south to help fight the Jim Crow laws and Vietnam War protestors and radical groups that formed in the counter culture. White has done her research and it definitely shows.

The character development was lacking and I never felt a huge connection to any of the characters as they navigated their lives through the history. The novel was overall enjoyable though and a thought provoking read. What makes "good people"?

We Are All Good People Here by Susan Rebecca White is published by Atria Books and released on August 6, 2019.




No comments: