Friday, June 22, 2018

We Begin Our Ascent - Book Review


Solomon has been focused and dedicated on achieving his goal as a professional cyclist. Now, he's part of the team that will help star Fabrice win the Tour de France. The only thing that has ever distracted Sol from his success on his bike, is his wife Liz and their new baby son. But Liz and Sol are supportive of each other's careers. Liz will do anything to help Sol get ahead, even help transport illegal performance enhancing drugs. Soon, the young couple is in way over their heads.

Several years ago, I read and loved Gold by Chris Cleave. His novel focused on dedicated and competitive athletes hoping to win Olympic gold in track cycling. I was suddenly intrigued by the sport that I previously knew very little about. Cleave successfully told a brilliant and thoughtful story with the sport as the backdrop. I was hoping for something similar with We Begin Our Ascent by Joe Mungo Reed.

Once I started Reed's debut novel, I was on the fast speed bike descending down a steep hill and holding on tight. You can't brake on the descent and so I couldn't stop. I read the novel yesterday and didn't sleep until I had finished the last page. Reed tells a moving and exciting story of passion, competition and a willingness to do almost anything to win. Woven throughout the exciting bike race, Sol muses on his relationships with his wife Liz and his new baby son.  The writing is beautiful and compelling and I am a going to shout this book's praises to anyone who will listen.

We Begin Our Ascent by Joe Mungo Reed is a fabulous summer read. I was thrilled by the details of the races and all that goes in to winning. I will definitely be watching the Tour de France this summer with a lot more understanding and interest.

We Begin Our Ascent by Joe Mungo Reed is published by Simon and Schuster and released on June 19, 2018.

1 comment:

Karen Hugg said...

I love cycling, the Tour de France and all things France. It's great to know there's a fun fictional story set in its world! Thanks for the review!